Welcome to the Indiana National Guard’s Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Requester Service Center and Privacy Office. This Requestor Service Center was designed to assist the public in making FOIA requests for Indiana National Guard records to include the Indiana National Guard’s Joint Staff, Air National Guard, and Army National Guard. Our office is also available to assist individuals seeking records about themselves under the Privacy Act (PA) or to assist in complaints and compliance with the Privacy Act.
The FOIA, known by its legal cite as Title 5 U.S.C. § 552, along with the Department of Defense (DoD) Regulation 5400.7, governs how FOIA requests will be processed within the Indiana National Guard.
How to file a FOIA or Privacy Request
* Please note that the filing of a FOIA or Privacy request is a personal matter. Military personnel and Federal Government Employees may not use government time or equipment to make such requests. *
If you are seeking personal records on yourself under the Privacy Act, you must provide a signed letter indicating the specific records you are seeking. Based on the existing retrieval practice for the records you are seeking, you may be asked to provide additional information to allow us to retrieve your record. The letter, containing your signature, can be mailed, faxed, or scanned and sent as an e-mail attachment.
Essential Elements of a FOIA Request
- Cite that you are requesting records under the FOIA
- Provide your full name and contact information, to include e-mail address to expedite communications
- Provide a reasonable description of the record(s) requested as well as the office(s) you believe are most likely to have the records sought. A listing of the offices serviced by this requestor service center can be found at http://www.ng.mil/jointstaff/default.aspx.
- Provide a statement of your fee category and indicate your willingness to pay applicable fees for processing. You may include a dollar amount you are willing to pay up to, or you may leave the amount you are willing to pay open ended.
- Educational, Noncommercial, Scientific, and Media: Any accredited U.S. educational or research institution or instructor of an institution, or representative of the news media using the information in a scholarly or analytical work contributing to public knowledge and disseminated to the public.
- Commercial: Increases the commercial interest of the requestor.
- All Others: All other requestors
The FOIA provides for the collection of fees for:
- Searches: Time spent in looking for and retrieving material, either paper or electronic files, that are responsive to the request to include personnel hours (clerical and professional) and computer time.
- Reviews: Time spent to determine if the record is releasable under legal guidelines, excluding resolution of legal or policy issues. This does include time spent excising text that is exempt under FOIA.
- Reproduction: Generating a copy of a requested record in the appropriate medium, for example paper or computer file.
Fees rates and schedules can be found in DoD 5400.7, DoD Freedom of Information Act Program (http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/540007r.pdf), and on the DD 2086, Record of FOI Costs (http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd2086.pdf).
Where to Make a FOIA or Privacy Request
Indiana National Guard Joint Records
If you are seeking records from the Indiana National Guard, you may make your request to our FOIA Requestor Service Center at:
2002 South Holt Road
Indianapolis, IN 46241
To inquire on the status of your request, you may contact the INARNG FOIA/Privacy Officer, at (317) 247-3492 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Air National Guard (ANG) Records
Effective 30 March 2009: The Air Force has established a new Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) website for submitting request online to our Requester Service Centers (RSC). Click on the following AF eFOIA Public Access Link (PAL): https://www.efoia.af.mil/palMain.aspx.
Once there, we recommend you review all the links listed on the left side as they have been designed to provide information and guidance.
The ANG FOIA Program has also been centralized effective 30 Mar 2009 and all requests for ANG records, except ANG/IG records, are now processed by one office. In your request, please indicate the state/Wing that you are seeking records from. If you prefer not to use our automated system, you may also make your request to us at:
1411 Jefferson Davis Highway
Arlington VA 22202
(703) 607-3195, Fax (703) 607-3684
To inquire on the status of your request, you may contact the INARNG FOIA/Privacy Officer at 317-247-3492.
If you are seeking records about yourself under the Privacy Act that are filed within a Privacy Act System of Record, you should direct your request to Chief of the Office, Historical Records at 317-964-7048 where the records are held.
For inquiries on Department of the Air Force (Non-Guard) records, please reference:
Last updated April 25, 2013